Dulcolax® Stool Softener
Ease into constipation relief with Dulcolax® Stool Softener.
Dulcolax® Stool Softener is a stimulant-free laxative made to relieve occasional constipation. Each tablet contains 100 mg of the #1 doctor-recommended stool softener ingredient — docusate sodium. It works to soften dry, hard stool. So your next bowel movement can happen gently and gradually. Within 12 to 72 hours, you should experience gentle constipation and irregularity relief.
Where to buy
Dulcolax® Stool Softener benefits
Relief in 12 to 72 hours
Provides gentle relief in a comfortable time frame.
Stimulant-free formula provides gentle, effective relief.
Softens hard, dry stool
Makes it more comfortable to go to the bathroom.
Use and dosage
Dulcolax® Stool Softener is recommended to be taken with a glass of water.
adults and children 12 years of age and over:
- 1 to 3 capsules daily. This dose may be taken as a single daily dose or in divided doses.
children 2 to under 12 years of age:
- 1 capsule daily
children under 2 years of age:
- ask a doctor
- for relief of occasional constipation and irregularity
- this product generally produces bowel movement in 12–72 hours
- if you are presently taking mineral oil unless told to do so by a doctor
- stomach pain, nausea or vomiting
- a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts more than 2 weeks
- you have rectal bleeding or no bowel movement after using this product. These could be signs of a serious condition.
- you need to use a laxative for more than 1 week
- each capsule contains: sodium 6mg
- store at 20°-25°C (68°-77°F). Protect from excessive humidity
- contains FD&C Yellow No. 6
- do not use this product if the safety seal under the cap is torn or missing
Active Ingredient (in each liquid gel):
Docusate sodium USP 100 mg
Stool softener laxative
Inactive ingredients: FD&C red no. 40, FD&C yellow no. 6, gelatin, glycerin, mannitol, pharmaceutical ink, polyethylene glycol 400, propylene glycol, sorbitan, sorbitol, water
What is this product for?
Do not use
Ask a doctor before use if you have
Stop use and ask a doctor if
If pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use.
Keep out of reach of children. In case of overdose, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use an HSA or FSA to buy Dulcolax® products?
You may be able to use your HSA or FSA tax-preferred savings account to purchase certain OTC products, including Dulcolax®. The passage of the CARES Act by Congress includes provisions to restore OTC eligibility under tax-preferred HSA and FSA accounts. Plan details vary, so save your receipt and check with your benefits or health provider for eligibility.
Can I chew or crush Dulcolax® Stool Softener liquid gels?
No. It’s recommended that you swallow them whole, without chewing or crushing.
Is Dulcolax® Stool Softener the same as a stimulant laxative?
No, the active ingredient, docusate sodium, increases the amount of water in the stool, making stools softer and easier to pass.
Can I take Dulcolax® Stool Softener with food and dairy products?
Yes. You can take this stimulant-free laxative at any time, with or without food and dairy products.
Can I take Dulcolax® Stool Softener with mineral oil?
No. Do not use if you are presently taking mineral oil, unless told to do so by a doctor.
For additional questions regarding usage, side effects, or storage instructions, please refer to the Dulcolax® Stool Softener Drug Facts Panel or contact your healthcare professional.
Dulcolax® family of products
Dulcolax® products help your digestive system get moving with gentle overnight, gradual, or fast-relief solutions. Find the Dulcolax® product that’s right for you.